Holy Cwap. It's been a while. I apologise to those who occasionally drop by for updates.

Since I have a clearer head now, I think I can post more story bits. Done with Chapter VI! Chapter VII: "Limbo" will be up SOON. Cheers!


ANNOUNCEMENT:

-- Chapter Renaming --
Chapter VI: "Salad" -> "Unravel"
Chapter VII: "Craving" -> "Limbo"

10.1.13

Halfway Valentine | Special 4: "First Time"


First Time

Naomi and I stood on the summit of Mount Fuji, the vast clouds rolling dramatically beneath us like a stretch of foamy land covered with cotton balls. The air had the crisp, fresh sting of early morning. Overhead the sky was blue, with only a light veil of last night’s darkness. Out toward the horizon, the blue was even brighter, and shot through with brilliant bands of red and orange and yellow, concentrated over the all-important spot where the sun would make its appearance.

I raised my bottle of cold oolong tea to my mouth and inhaled deeply. The rich, calming tea aroma, mixed with the scent of the air wafting around Japan’s highest peak was overwhelmingly delightful. Ah, life could be incredibly sweet. Next to me, Naomi’s face was bathed in the early light. She was glowingly beautiful. We shared the anticipation, not knowing exactly which second the blazing top of the sun would push up above the horizon.

If there was ever a perfect moment, this was it. I was in the perfect place at the perfect time, and with the perfect girl savouring all of this perfection with me. I wanted to capture it, remember it forever.

The flaming colours deepened. Blinding rays shot up into the sky, etching it with a huge crown. You could feel the power about to explode. “Here goes,” Naomi whispered excitedly, putting one arm around me and hugging me close. She held her camera up with her other hand and waited in bated breath. “What do you think, Ems? Three . . . two . . . two and a half,” she said, stretching out her words.

A smudge of the brightest orange popped onto the horizon abruptly. I let out a little gasp of delight. The smudge swelled into a flattened dome. The dome rose until a perfect disk of flame colour floated just above the clouds. The sky lightened. It was a new day.

I let out a long breath of satisfaction. “That was . . . well, ‘amazing’ doesn’t quite do it justice.”

“It’s more exciting than watching it set, don’t you think, babe?” Naomi said, letting the camera dangle from her neck by a strap. “I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love a beautiful sunset. But there’s something so breathtaking about watching it come up. Especially rising up from beneath the clouds.”

I took a long sip of my drink. It had gotten a bit lukewarm but I didn’t really mind. “I know what you mean, Naomi. When you watch the sun set, you know where it’s going, when. You see it falling. You know when it’s going to disappear. When it comes up, you’re waiting for it, but it still somehow feels like this big surprise when it pops up.”

“Yea, that’s definitely it,” Naomi agreed. “That and maybe the fact that I’m not usually up at this time to see it. Makes it that much more of a big deal.”

Shoving the bottle back into the side pocket of my backpack, I nodded. “I’ve seen it exactly once before, but I was too . . . wrecked to appreciate it,” I added, skirting the exact partied-out circumstances of my only other sunrise. “So I reckon I’ll call this time the first time, if it’s okay with you.”

Naomi smiled and took my hand into the warmth of hers. “I’m honoured to share your first time with you, Ems.”

“Me too, Naomes,” I said, linking our fingers. “I couldn’t have had a better first experience.”

We let both our eyes wander around—behind us, both sides, ahead, then down. The trails were crowded with thousands of other climbers who also took advantage of the climbing season. Most of them were still on their way to the summit. There were snow-covered patches all around the slopes of the famous volcano. The carpet of clouds below us was beautified by an exquisite shade of peach. It all felt like a little dream.

“We have finally conquered the Giant, Ems. Unbelievable,” Naomi said, puffing out a soft breath of incredulity as her gaze slid down. “3,766 metres above. Highest point in Japan. The six-hour climb of shoving against a few dickheads and trying to look after you was all worth it. I was worried as fuck your ankle would start its own little drama again.”

I shone her a grateful smile. “Yea, thank you for always being my knight in shining armour,” I said, lifting our entwined hands and kissing the back of hers softly. “And last night was the best night sky I’ve ever laid my eyes on, Naomes. I’ve never seen those many stars in my life. There was like a bazillion of them—all sizes, all glows. It was just spectacular.”

“Yes. It was like floating in outer space. I remember looking behind me and feeling as if I was facing the whole universe. The stars seemed so near that you would be tempted to reach for them. I had to stop for a while to just relish the view and take photos until this Japanese bloke behind me fucking yelled at me. And, yes, I yelled back. And things got a little out of hand from there.”

My eyes bulged as awareness dawned. “Oh, dear. So that was what the little commotion earlier was all about. I thought the guy grabbed your arse or something,” I said, smirking. “So it was the bitchy blonde’s fault then, huh?”

“Excuse me. I wasn’t being a bitch,” she said, in defence. “You can’t blame me for wanting to pause for a while and appreciate every spectacle along the way. Every second matters here, Ems. After all, that is what this climb is all about, yea?”

I smiled my agreement. “Yes. I have to agree with you, babe. This is an experience of a lifetime and we cannot waste a single moment.”

Smiling sweetly, the blonde gave our intertwined hands a little swing. “I’m just glad that I get to do this with you, Em. We can add this one to our list of Mrs. and Mrs. Campbell’s Epic Memories.”

Her sugary words made my bones melt. “I couldn’t think of anyone else better to share this triumph with, you know,” I said. “I want to experience all sorts of feats with my queen.”

Naomi had on that smug and happy little grin. “The queen of your universe?”

A snort of a chuckle escaped me. “That sounds rather corny, but, okay, if you want to put it that way.”

“I want you to say I’m the queen of your universe.”

I crinkled my nose. “No. I would vomit first.”

“Please, Ems,” she begged in a very cute way. “Say it.”

“No.”

“Please. I want to hear it. Just this once. Pretty please?”

I shook my head. “No. I don’t want to.”

She hugged my hand to her chest. “Please?”

“Fine,” I dully said, giving up. “You’re the queen of my universe.”

With a scowl, Naomi then abruptly let go of my hand. “Wow. That didn’t sound so forced,” she scoffed, making me burst out chuckling.

As soon as I had sobered, I took both her hands and looked into her eyes. “You’re the queen of my universe, Naomi Campbell,” I repeated, now meaning it. “You are now, and will forever be. Okay?”

Her scowl softened into a smile then. “And you’ll always be my romamtic redheaded princess too, Emily Fitch.”

“But don’t you think that’s kind of weird, babe?” I mused. “You’re my queen; I’m your princess. I’m supposed to be your king, and you’re supposed to be my prince. Because if you’re a queen and I’m a princess that would make our relationship incestuous—”

“Ems,” Naomi tried to interrupt, but I only went on.

“—But then, it could also be possible and acceptable if we’re from two different kingdoms, yea? But still that would be really weird—”

“Emily!” the blonde successfully cut me off, giving me a look. “Will you stop it now, please?”

“Sorry, sometimes I just tend to think . . . too much,” I mumbled, grinning sheepishly. “Sorry. Blame my brain.”

She smirked. “Yea, that’s kind of an acceptable truth already. Emily Fitch and her over-thinking mental disorder,” she said with good-natured disgust, which sent me giggling.

We stood looking at each other, touching with our hands, our loving gazes, our sweet words, our soft giggles. I let go of her gaze and hands. “We’re on top of Japan, Naomi,” I said, looking out at the rising sun, again. “I think this is the perfect time to tell the whole world—” I paused to take a deep breath, then cupping my hands to my mouth, I shouted at the top of my lungs:

I love you, Naomi Campbell! You’re the queen of my universe! I love you! I love you! I love you!

I felt the eyes of every climber around us turn toward me, but my cheeks didn’t grow pink. No flush of embarrassment whatsoever. I let my eyes close for a moment and felt a smile tugging at my lips. I couldn’t care less if it was corny. Couldn’t care less if it was sickly sweet. Couldn’t care less if it was a cliché movie moment. I would always be well full of pride loving Naomi Campbell. I opened my eyes and cast a sideways glance at the blonde. She was staring back at me, her mouth slightly open in stunned amazement.

I turned to her, gently took both of her hands for a second time, and repeated with more intensity, and just as sincere, “I love you, Naomi.”

She didn’t have to open her mouth to convey her response, to echo my words. I saw it in the depths of her blue eyes. They were twinkling with burning love and overwhelming affection.

Yes, I did love Naomi Campbell. And I saw her like pierced ears. She was my now and my tomorrow. She was the only one who I see myself facing the rest of my ‘first time’s with. And, yes, she was the queen of my universe.

I didn’t really have to say all of this; I just had to show it to her. Actions speak louder than words, as my favourite saying goes.

I gently pulled the blonde toward me and we paused only for a split second before joining in a sweet, lingering, perfect kiss that blended with the picture perfect everything. And another. And another . . .



NEXT on Halfway Valentine Special: "Little Light Up"